Top celebrity moments of the 2014 US Open
Tuesday, September 9, 2014
While the tennis stars took the court in their quest for a title in New York, the stars of Hollywood and the sports world came to watch. Here are some of the best celebrity moments of the 2014 US Open.
- Champion crasher: Actor Will Ferrell loves his tennis and visited the US Open numerous times during the tournament. He can always count on great matches, but bet he was a little surprised to be crashed by 2012 champion Andy Murray as he was recording an interview with USOpen.org.
- Ball boy Baldwin: Alec Baldwin showed off his quick reflexes during Maria Sharapova’s first-round match. The award-winning actor caught a stray ball as it bounced high into the President’s Suite, an action missed by Sharapova. “I had no idea,” she said after the match when asked if she noticed he caught a ball. “Congratulations.”
- Air Federer: The legendary Michael Jordan was in Roger Federer’s box for his first-round match when the two debuted a new sneaker based on Michael Jordan’s famous “Air Jordans” called the “AJ3.” Federer said after, “I'm just so happy that he came into the world of tennis a little bit, got to see some tennis. That it was me, sort of being the character in the whole show, was kind of cool with the collaborations of the shoes, which is very special to me I must say.”
- Stoudemire selfies: On Day 4 at the US Open, fans were not only treated to star-studded matches, but some were treated to selfies with New York Knicks’ star Amar’e Stoudemire.
- Was the ball in or out?: Model and “Project Runway” host Heidi Klum was in Milos Raonic’s box for his fourth-round match. Unfortunately for her, we said “auf wiedersehen” to the player she was cheering for, as Raonic lost in five sets to Nishikori.
- Federer friends: Olympic gold medalist Lindsey Vonn, singer and designer Gwen Stefani, actor Hugh Jackman and Vogue’s Anna Wintour were among the stars on the edges of their seats, as Roger Federer saved two match points to defeat Gael Monfils in the men's singles quarterfinal.
- Sprinting with Serena: Six-time Olympic gold-medal winner Usain Bolt was in Serena Williams’ box for her semifinal against Ekaterina Makarova. After the match, Serena took a selfie with the world-famous sprinter and said, “I actually asked him, ‘Do you think I can sprint?’ He said, ‘No.’ I thought, I think I have a good sprinter's body. He's like, ‘No.’”